What exactly are we talking about here? Is this a stock-height, straight axle truck? What year?
The articles in the links above are referring to IFS problems. The stock suspension on an AD for instance has little to no bump-steer, but has a limited amount of something called "roll-steer" that can't be avoided. It all boils down to the same thing though, Stuart pretty well nailed the definition of it I think.
I had severe bump steer after modifying my straight-axle suspension. It was caused by the drag link no longer being parallel to the frame. I would assume that even a stock truck with 50 year old springs might set quite a bit lower than it did when new. Anyhow, the remedy is pretty simple, level out the drag link. I did this by a combination of: 1. raising the steering box, 2. shortening the pitman arm, 3. bending the steering arm on the driver's side down. I had to do all three to get the drag link level since the ol' girl sits about 6" lower in front that stock.
I'm happy to report - NO bump steer anymore.
Edit: The software gremlins took the word "link" and magically tied it to something irrelevant.
Last edited by waldo53; 04/05/2008 7:59 PM.