When attempting to extract a 261 inline six engine with attached original type cast iron Hydra-matic transmission (that is itself extremely heavy):

1. Is it advisable to pull the engine and tranny together as an assembly, or is it better to first detach the tranny from the engine (somehow supporting each of the engine and tranny independently properly while and after doing so), and pull them separately? I am assuming that if they are separated first, you need the truck elevated on a lift, and a tranny jack, as I imagine that the tranny MUST be pulled from below . . .

2. What are reliable lift points to use on the engine?

3. What bolt size, thread, and length is required to use those lift points?

The engine and tranny together weight in excess of 825 pounds (at least one tranny shop owner says more because he says the tranny weighs more than the shop manual implies). I have an engine hoist rated for 2 tons (4000 lb)atshortest extension, 3000 lb at middle extension, and 1 ton (2000 pounds) at full extension, plus a leveler for the hoist.

I do have an assymetric lift, but using it the SAFEST way will probably require me to remove (not just disconnect from the engine) the exhaust system, as the previous owner ran it very close and parallel to the frame rails. I am also not wild about using a lift when we are going to change the center of gravity VERY abruptly once we disconnect that tranny. That's a safety problem waiting to happen. From a safety perspective, I'd rather pull 825 pounds from the top while the vehicle is firmly on a concrete floor.

Informed opinions?

Professional ones especially valued!

Jim G