I'd reccomend you pull the cylinder head and drop the oil pan, and do a thorough inspection of everything. If there's much of a rod knock, the crankshaft has probably been damaged too badly to take another rod without being reground. Many years ago, we used to grind crankshafts in the engine, but it left a lot of abrasive debris behind. If the shop that did your buildup was not familiar with fitting bearings and setting clearances, they could have built in some problems. I learned to fit babbit bearings in the late 50's, and I'm probably one of the last mechanics who dealt with poured-bearing rods on a regular basis. There's definitely as art, as well as a science to making them live!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!