I've done a search and came up with some answers but not to my specific question; which is--can 3/4 Ton running boards be adapted to a 1/2 Ton considering the cab configuration? I'll quote a post by Cletis to start the conversation..
Originally Posted by cletis
There's some confusion over whether they own an AD or an ND. GMCs of the era were designated New Design trucks and were available in ½-ton with long or short bed. In the 60 years since they were first produced there have been some Chevy cabs put on GMC ½-ton long bed frames.

I have been in a rather fruitless search for a pair of runninng boards for my '41 1/2 Ton. Several potential sellers have asked "Long Box or Short Box?" My understanding is that there was only a 78" box on the 1/2 ton and a 87" box on a 3/4 Ton, and that the wheel base is 115" and 125 1/4" respectively.

The Chevrolet Specifications of cars and trucks mentions "Long" running boards RPO" for the 3/4 ton package when purchased as a cab and chassis and for mounting bodies other than Chevrolet.

My question, basically, is this.... can the longer 3/4 ton running boards be shortened to fit the 1/2 ton? One seller mentioned that the difference in length can be shortened by cutting a section from the rear portion of the boards (just forward of end where the board conforms to the rear fender) and then welding them back together.

The running boards on my 1/2 ton while in "like new" condition do not conform to the cab curvature, i.e. the inner edge of the board is straight from tip to tip and not curved as they should be at the edge under the forward portion of the cab prior to mating with the front fender. The outer length is 84 1/4" and the inner is 63 3/4".

Don

Last edited by down2sea; 02/17/2008 5:31 PM.

My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.