Hi Bessie
Let me see if I can explain this without drawing pictures. The crank throw on a V8 engine does not have a perfect square machine end at each end of the throw and if you look at the inside of the rod with the insert installed, you will note that the insert doesn't come to the edge of the rod on one side. This side has to go to the outside of the crank throw so the gap can leave room for the machined rounded edge. When the two rods come together on a throw, the two sides that are next to each other can be flush with the insert since they have no rounded edge to make room for. When you install the rod cap, place the locks - the indentions that the insert fits into - over each other or other words, on the same side of the rod.
The notch on the piston has to go to the front and this should put the space on the insert to the outside of the crank throw. You can't use the rod with the cap on backwords or your insert will spin in a short time. But you can turn the rod around on the piston, listen to this closely. If you turn the rod around, you would have to use that piston, with the notch pointing to the front on "the other side of the engine". I hope that this doesn't confuse you but I really suggest that you get the rod(s) turned around. Maybe you can use what I have described to determine if your rods are on backwords or just the caps turned around. I have taught automotive mechanics for 29 years but I am used to having a chalkboard to explain. Hope this helps.
Truck Tinker from Talking Rock