Thank you, Tony, I wasn't aware that the frame was narrower under a 3/4. Looks like that ol' T/A rearend might just work.
I've heard that the 1/2 ton front axle will swap into a 3/4 as well...and the aftermarket seems to list only ONE part number for replacement front springs between the two.
I guess the next question is "how do you determine which leaves to remove?" Is it every other one? Or do you just pull a couple from each spring? Trial and error, I guess.
Tony M, I've observed that the bigger trucks seem to survive better up here and are more frequently still available (likely cheaper, more folks want 1/2 tons). As for the 6 banger, I DO know where I could pick up my choice of two runners, a '59 235, or a '61 261-both in BIG GUY trucks, still running well, according to the owner. I could likely get 'em cheap, too. I could likely pick up a running 305 v-8 and auto overdrive in a running car even cheaper though...and I've got previous smallblock experience. Which way will da Wannabe go? He's gotta get a truck first-stay tuned...
Regards,
Wannabe
