Hi. Been driving about in the 59 1 ton, but its been running hot. Ran ok, old points, new plugs, new wires, new rotor, new cap. Timing was way advanced - so figure that's contributing to the engine running hot.
Replaced the points, set everything back to spec. Ran good, a little balky off idle, then later on it backfired, and ran like poop, would not idle - had to hold speed up with accelerator.
Rechecked everything, reset points gap to .019 (new points), set timing to 4 btdc (vaccum hose off distributor - idle speed around 7-800) but it really doesn't want to idle at the 550 rpm it should be at. Funny thing was that it ran ok for about 30-40 minutes right after I did this the first time.
I noticed that the timing is very sensitve to engine speed - perhaps the distributor mechanical advance springs are too weak? A little more RPM gives a timing change.
I have just gone through it all again, adjusting everything, but it still doesn't want to run right. Rough idle. Ok if engine is spun up a bit.
So I was thinking maybe the guy had the timing set way advance (like 16) because valves were off. So anyone got those specs, or is that a blind alley as the engine might have hydraulic lifters. (But I doubt it - does leak a bit on rear pushrod cover)
Spark plugs are relatively new champion 4405s the majick black and gold truck plug. Plugs look like mixture is right - light brown. Gap is .035 and right at spec.
Don't really see any vaccum leaks. Vaccum line to distributor makes a significant difference to timing when its removed and replaced. So I assume its ok.
I am a little puzzled as to what happened...