I guess I'm looking for info on the T5 swap into a '67-'72 vintage truck. I cannot seem to find any here, or anywhere else for that matter. I seem to recall there was an issue with the shifter ending up in the middle of the bench seat. The BW R10 three speed overdrive I have in my '61 Apache is fine, and is period correct for the truck, but it just isnt my real cup of tea for a daily driver. If I were going to spend on a gear vendors unit, it would go behind one of my diesels. I wont be doing any towing or heavy hauling with this truck, I have other vehicles for that stuff. Just trying to make a reliable, good mpg daily grocery getter, without getting too far away from the original look and feel of the truck. It is the most unmolested example of a GMC I've ever found,(the "date of manufacture" tag is still on the drivers door edge) and got it for less than a replacement cab was gonna cost for my '68. This is a 1/2 ton short P/U. It has the standard issue light duty three speed Saginaw with column shifter.
My plans for it right now, in addition to an OD tranny are..
Flowtech headers, as the original exhaust mani is cracked, and costs almost the same to replace as the stock mani. Will add the intake mani heat from Langdon's.
An HEI ignition
Freshly remmaned 1bbl Rottenchester "M" carb
New Balancer, and seals, water pump, hoses, general cleanup of the motor, etc.
Ceramic brake setup on front end (keeping the drums)
Body and paint(original red/white scheme) in the spring.
Pics are at
www.picturetrail.com/yachtcareIf anyone out there has done the T5 swap into one of these, I'm looking for pictures, and how you handled the hydraulic clutch setup. What had to happen to get the shifter to fit in the right place, and any other advice or problems that were encountered.
Thanks for the input.