Well this is the first time on the electrical forum....usually stay on the greasy side of the forum.
I have a variety of gasoline engines from Allis Chalmers WC 45 with 4 cyl. gas engine..... played with some 216 Chev and now a 261 rebuilt chev circa 1959.
The AC tractor cooked the old original coil.... the fact that it was old, bumped and deeply dented did not help. when I purchased a new 12 volt coil.... it says printed on the isde of the coil that it can be used for 6 volts or with a resistor it can be used for 12 volts.......
What did I buy a 6 volt coil that can be used for 12 volts and should I go back and look for a real 12 volt coil...???
Now I have just been starting the new rebuilt 261 and I am not using a resistor.......the 12 volt coil is from Accel.... High capacity of some kind..... will it need a resistor or will I burn the points like I did in the tractor....??
I can't figure out when and why you need to use the darn resistor.... they are cheap enough so the cost is not an issue.
I have a Pertronic kit for the 261 but have not installed it yet.... I have read on the forum that this would be a solution
but it will not answer my question of why and when to use a resistor.... do I need a special capacity resistor or just a run of the mill model similar to what Chrysler products use to have in the 70s.
Thanks for your patience and answers.
Bob C.