There is not a unit with a CD player that will fit into the stock location. There are basically three options that I know of for putting a modern radio in the stock location. First is to find an original 6V AM and have it gutted and upgraded to AM/FM 12V. However, if you can find one of these, (they are rare and expensive) please do not do this, folks who want original need them.
Second, there are a couple of units that mount in the stock location. There is a unit from Custom Audio (I think that is their name) that fits and has a cassette player. I believe they are about $200.00, do not look original and in my opinion are not the best sound quality. There is a unit that fits in stock location that looks original and is AM/FM 12V. Several vendors are selling them and they are on ebay as well. They are about $550.00. I have not heard them but I have heard from others they sound nice. Both of these units have inputs for external CD/MP3 players.
Of course many folks mount modern stereo gear in the glove box to hide it. Or just under the dash. You should feel lucky not to have a cut up dash. This was common in yester years to put modern stereos in these rigs. I could identify probably three generations of stereo holes hacked into my dash before I repaired it.
You can also get modern stereo speakers that mount in the stock location. I can't find the sites right now, but they have been mentioned in this forum before. Good Luck,
Steve O