Got my new rebuilt 350 SB in my 56 to replace the well worn 305. The 305 was from an 85 GM pickup. I used the balncer off the 85. There were no timing marks on the balancer, just a groved line across it fore and aft. The timing chain cover for the 305 used a 12:00 oclock position for the timing markers. When I put the 305 in the 56, I used a chrome timing cover that put the timing marks in the 2:00 oclock position. Likewise the new cover for the 350 has the marks at the 2:00 position. I have had real hassles getting the engine to run right. Timing by sound, my timing mark on the balancer appears to be 90 degrees out. I'm totally confused now. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Or how I set the timing on this sucker? BTW it has a CC 280H cam in it, if that makes any difference. I really hate to show my ignorance here, but my desparation is overwhelming my pride!