| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,141 Posts1,056,487 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#24607 08/19/2003 1:43 AM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | I got this email today: I have a problem. I am restoring a 1940 ¾ ton GMC panel truck. I removed the caked grease and rear springs to clean and refinish. The springs are held on by a collet wrapped around the axle tube with u-bolts. Actually this collet is somewhat loose and is held in place on the axle tube by a half-moon key that is, I believe, riveted to the axle tube. My problem is that the rear end grease will drain out and around the rivets. This happened when the axle dropped down and became unlevel. I can't help from feeling this is wrong and refuse to continue this project until I find someone who knows my situation. I certainly hope you have the time and knowledge to help.
I have no clue what this fella is referring to. Anyone know?
My info indicates that an AC150 panel (yes GMC offered a 3/4 ton panel in '40) used a torque tube. The spring perches appear to be mounted in the same fashion as later year torque tubes in other trucks; part of the rear axel and not really removeable/serviceable.
Anyone had one of these apart that knows what this guy is trying to figure out? I'm lost. | | |
| |
| |