| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,625 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#24548 06/16/2003 1:07 AM | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 56 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 56 | This truck appears to be a civilian truck purchased by the Army. There were thousands of these purchased by all the services. I got my Navy heavy truck license on a brand spanking new '47 five ton GMC flatbed.
These trucks were usually no different than civilian trucks: however, it appears that yours was ordered with the same 302 engine setup that was used in a tracked amphibian and the M135/M211 series of 2 1/2 ton 6x6s being built at the same time. this was probably done for commonalty of parts. The above vehicles also had Hydramatic Transmissions but I never saw any civilian types with AT. The amphib had two 302s and ATs.
I can't find a 424V listed but I do know that it is a 400 Series which is the 2 1/2 ton. The 2 means a 302 and 4 has to do with the wheelbase. I don't know what the V means. Most V8 trucks then had model designations something like 450-8V if they had the 316 or 347 V8s. I have a '53 633. It is a 5 ton with a 503 straight six, it looks like a bull.
'31 Chevy 1 1/2 ton, '42 GMC 2 1/2 ton 6x4, '52 GMC 2 1/2 ton 6x6, '53 GMC 5 ton
| | |
| |
| |