mgbman:
The story checks out with the VIN on the title. The first number is the year of manufacture 1964, the C is for a 1/2 ton, B is Baltimore for the plant where it was manufactured and the 102738 tells it was the 2,738th truck off the line at this plant (the number starts at 100,001 for each series, at each plant).
All of this being said, I don't believe they manufactured trucks from leftover parts, as Brad54 has explained. My guess is the engine, cab and dash are not original to the truck. The cabs changed from '63 to '64. I think the cab was transplanted onto the truck. Again, check the numbers on the drivers side frame rail, next to the exhaust manifold. This will tell the tale on the frame.
If you don't mind and you are able to title, register, insure and license the truck, go for it. If not, I would pass on this one.
Tony