Hi guys,
Other than I like the looks of them classic trucks, and some shade tree mechanical experience, I know very little. Just starting out here.

I bought a 58 1 Ton Dually that has a 348 in it with a 4 speed (1st is granny) on the floor. It has a hole in the floor when I know some old trucks had a step on starter. This one just has the hole. The start function is on the key.

This truck is in surprisingly good shape other than one cab corner rust in a small spot and the wiring is Mickey Mouse'd ...which is to be expected. I'll take care of that smile Runs fairly good too! Has points, and a small 4bbl carb. Missing the dip stick.

Where do I find 348 parts like a dip stick?

I plan on doing some sort of upgrade to disc brakes on the front. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Long range plans for the truck are a tow/hauler with reliable drive train with overdrive automatic and tilt & power steering.

Can I make that rear-end reliable? Or junk it for a modern dually rear?


----------------------------------
I know far from everything, and think I know less than I do. Once in a while I might even know what I am talking about. Your mileage may vary.