Boy, you guys too smart. In fact, you've put the lie to my claim - the bore is actually 5 3/8ths, NOT 5 3/4ths. I misstated. 817 cu. inches, thus the name of the engine, the F817G. Same engine used to be called the Waukesha 145GZ, the largest in a line of 4 huge straight sixes in the 140 - 145 series. Someone told me the "F" in the new name stood for Fire Service, as many of these engines found their way into fire engines. Same person told me the "G" stood for Gas, though I've never seen an F817 Diesel. FWD's Seagrave company (still exists, made most of the fire trucks that got toasted in NY on 9-11) put a lot of these Waukeshas in their trucks (like this one of mine). I also have the same engine in a Young Fire truck, made on a Madsen bus chassis.
These engines were used A LOT for Generators and Pumps, usually running on Natural Gas, Propane, or whatever, and usually only up to 1800 rpm. You can still find plenty of THOSE out there.
Funny thing is, my buddy has a 1921 American LaFrance fire engine, with a six cylinder, and his Pistons are TWICE AS LARGE as mine. (I know, "size doesn't matter). But his were never meant to go faster than about 900 rpm. I think those engines were all torque.
OK, I'm done rambling (for now). I'll work on getting photos.
-Michael