After using the resources on the site I found out some interesting things regarding the title and VIN of my truck. It has had a legal title in AZ from at least the previous owner, but I always wondered about the VIN plate. It appears to have been hand stamped and replaced at some point. It is in the correct location, but not having seen a correct plate, I'm not sure how it is supposed to look for that year.

What I've learned now is that it is a partial VIN. It is 3JD10, which tells me it was a 39 3/4 ton built in October of 38 in St. Louis. Okay, so far so good, the JD is correct for the vehicle, so I suspect the rest is as well, and the last info got dropped during a title transfer sometime, somewhere.

My question is this, does anyone have any info on how I might begin to at least find out how many 3/4 tons rolled of the line on that month and year? That at could help me narrow down it a bit perhaps?

Also, does the US have a site similar to GM in Canada for vintage trucks? What other resources exist to at least start to track down this information?

I am sure it is somewhere on this site and many of you who are more experienced might at least point me in the right direction.

Many thanks!


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album