's like I said in the other post, Dave. I had precisely the same problem. My fuel tank has enough integrity that there is no gas smell in the cab, and therefore the rust has not advanced too far, but when I first started driving Epic #2, I was having frequent unplanned stops - one I remember particularly was just before the apex of a bridge; not a great place, and a condition which is not to be borne :
I have two of those garden-variety glass-encased in-line filters in the system.One is just under the tank, with a shut off valve before it, and the other is just before the (electric) fuel pump. I inspect the lower filter frequently. Every now and then - not so often lately - I shut the valve, dismantle and clean the lower filter, and Bob's your uncle! Oh, and the lower fuel line has been replaced with rubber, and there's a length of split radiator hose protecting the lower filter from gravel damage. This is all temporary, but it allows the truck to work, as I said, while the crud works its way out.
You can just throw money at the problem, of course, but we Stovebolters - well, one of us at least - are cheap and lazy bastids, and if a permanent repair can be effected with a little ingenuity and less work, then what the heck, says I.
I could also pull the tank, have it washed, etched and coated, and that, too, would be good for a time, but years down the road that coating might start to migrate into my fuel filters, and then I'd have the same symptoms again.
No. This truck will remain in regular service, so condensation in the tank (and the consequent rust) will be kept to a minimum.