I've had the displeasure of changing tires on rims here in the yard, with nothing more than a small assortment of prybars and tire irons to work with.. one of the toughest things was to break the bead on the tires.. The only method I found that worked half decent was to lay the tire flat under the bumper of a car, put a board on it, then sit a bottle jack on the board and jack up the car.

Quite a pain in the @$$.

So as luck would have it, a few weeks ago at the local auction I bought an apparatus called a "bead breaker" for $35.. man this thing is the cat's pajamas!

Lay the tire on it, push down on this bar, and what used to take me an hour happens in less than a few seconds!!!

Getting the tire off the rim after the bead is broke loose still presents a time consuming challenge.. but i'm betting theres a special bar or tool that makes that process alot faster.. any of you old school guys know what it would be called?

Yea, yea.. I know you can take a tire to a place and get it mounted and balanced for $10.. but there are times when it comes in real handy to be able to swap a tire at home without having to drive into town.. especially when the only vehicle you have at the time is the one that needs the tire!!


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.