Steve- I'm not familiar with what the carrier for the 17" spare should look like, but it does look like your track is bent at the end and should be straight.

It's taken me 30 years to collect (4) original '37-'40 spare tire carriers, and as Greg said, all 4 of mine are different. 15" artillery wheels are wider than the 16" and use different carriers. Pickups, platform beds, and panels all have different style ends on the locking end of them. I have carriers I have taken from: a '40 1/2-ton PU with 16" tires, a '40 3/4-ton panel with 15" tires, a '39 3/4-ton PU with 15" tires and a '39 3/4-ton platform (stakebed) with 15" tires and all are different. I would imagine the slide out carrier for a '40 with 17" tires is different yet from what I have here.


To be long remembered as he's cruising in
The Passing Lane