Anything is available if your willing to spend the bucks.. I was quoted $65 a tire if I wanted to buy 'em new.. altho they'd have to order them.

My little '50 3100 1/2 ton with the rinky dink 216 walked right up the moist grass hill with the passenger side tire flat as a pancake (and a whole bunch of junk in the back).. it went up so nice, it wasn't till I got on the gravel driveway that I realised that somethin' wasn't right and got out to look and saw that tire shredded to ribbons.

It apparently was my "donught speed unload" method (see barrel o' nasty post in Greasy Spoon) that was the last straw for that old tire.. and the stock configuration is really quite snappy and fast, so I don't have any desire to swap out rear ends.

For the time being, i'm going to go down into the gully and look around for a 6.00 - 16 down in the trash pit, and if there isn't one in there, i'll keep a close eye on those "No Hunting" labled tires I see hangin' on fence posts.

The plan is to fix her up slowly while i'm driving her, but I want to be careful not to make her too nice.. I don't want to be one of these guys with the mint truck who's afraid to leave it in the parking lot while they shop, or has a hemmorage when they get a little mud on it.

First and formost, my '50 (and my '46 for that matter) is a working truck.. the fact that they're old, cool, and to date, have less than $600 tied up in them.. thats just icing on the cake.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.