| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,459 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#18369 10/24/2003 5:49 AM | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 15 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 15 | About a month ago I posted a query about what might cause a 350 to smoke on a warm startup. Got a lot of good ideas that I followed up on and think I have solved the problem and thought I would report back.
In talking it out most folks had agreed the smoke was more likely some form a vapor as opposed to oil based on the the quick dissapation on exiting the exhaust pipe. So first step was to do a cold and hot pressure check of the cooling system to rule out any form of a crack in the head. Great relief when she passed the leakdown test with flying colors which was a great relief as this was my third warrenty replacement of a Napa crate engine origninally purchased just about 2 years ago.
So the next step was to start monitoring the amount of moisture blowing out of the pipes on a cold start. Right side spit hardly any while the left spat out enough to leave a two foot long wet streak several inches wide. On a hot start the right emits no vapors and the left emits a good deal, but after letting it idle a minute or so you could see a water puddle forming just inside the end of the left exhaust - confirmation we were looking at water.
Then I noticed the left exhaust was smelling awfully rich. Over to the right side and no scent of unburned gas. Pull the carb and find the Qjet was drooling out its left primary - was even a gas puddle in the intake. Toss the Qjet, on goes a Edelbrock square bore I had lying around. Quickly get things dialed in and now the left side exhaust is no longer rich. The engine is idling smoother, both sides are giving off more or less the same amount of vapor on a cold start though the left is still smoking on a hot restart. But, if I'm remembering my chemistry lessons, a rich mixture provides a ready source hydrocarbons that can vaporized into H2O.
The intake manifold is one of those with a wall to create separate right and left chambers. With that and the dual exhuasts, sans any crossover, is why the problem was completely limited to the left side where the Qjet was leaking and which was why it made sense to consider a cracked head.
BTW, I think the Edelbrock basic square bore is the right carb for what I have. Its not that the Qjet is bad, but the only place I ever got into the secondaries was on a steep hill. We are talking abot a 350 in a 66 4x4 still running the stock gearing, which pretty much lets me make 3rd gear starts and makes 3rd gear rolling stops the norm, even with 30.5 tires. With the square bore I'm getting better low and mid range response which is all I need. With those tires she's still only turning around 3500-3600 at 75 mph.
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
| | |
| |
| |