Quote
Originally posted by baldredhead:
i don't know the difference between a 55 first and anything else. all i've seen of the axle is the picture i found on the 'net
'55 1st is the same basic design as your '52. The later '55, often just called '55, is a newer design and the axle is probably just enough different to make your proposed modification difficult.

I have a '54 front axle laying in my yard unused, and I'd bet lots of guys who are swapping to an IFS would be happy to have you haul off a '47 to '55 1st 1/2-ton axle that is likely to work the way you want.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...