Wha'd I say Wilber???? "first let me say that I do not want to use pop rivets, 3m weather strip adhesive or flat head screws to install them." I know, yur just tryin' ta get my goat, aren't ya! And I also know there are others out there, hiding in the shadows, that are a anal as I am about this stuff, and I’d sure like to hear their stories.
I'm well aware that there are fifty ways to attach your channel. But I don't want a new plan Stan. What I'm trying to figure out is how to do it the correct way, in other words the way the factory did it. Just the purist in me coming out. I've been thinking about machining some Maple blocks that will fit inside the channel and trap the legs to keep them from spreading. That would act as an anvil to drive the barbs through the corrugations. Then I could use something similar to a rivet set to roll them over inside. These materials are so expensive I feel I only have one chance at it and that there isn’t any room to experiment with it. The clips alone are a couple of bucks each not to mention what it cost for the channels. With a dozen clips to install, I think it’s worth figuring it out. Then the next few will be easy. I figured out a way to staple the cat’s whiskers anti-rattle strips to the garnish using the original holes, now I need to get this one nailed down.
I would imagine that the factory had something similar to a stapler that drove the clip through and folded the barb over all in one operation.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL