Before pulling the engine from the truck (Chevy 3100) and tearing it down I decided I'd better see if the engine would run. No gas tank, no radiator but plenty of Marvel oil and hand turning to insure all felt smooth. Sure enough, after some special set up on fuel and battery I punched the starter pedal. After some coaxing, it fired up and ran great. So I completed the teardown. The cabs off the frame and the engine is sitting by its lonesome. I'm getting ahead of myself, but the question arose that with this old of an engine what is the best oil to use? My b-i-l, a retired farmer, said he would just use plain 30 weight.

What is your advice on cleaning up the inside of the engine and then what oil would you use? It sat for a long time and the oil is really thick and black.

Thanks for your valued advice.