I started my '55.2 with a stock 235 a couple weeks ago, fired right up. Tried to start it last week, wouldn't fire. Today I investigated. Pulled fuel line, hit the starter, spirting lots of fuel - all good there. Started checking power with a test light @ batteries, key switch, etc...; all good. Initially had power at both small terminals of coil, closed the points and had power at only one terminal' all good. Was looking around for other issues, when I smelled burnt electrical stuff. There's only one thing that smells like burnt electrical stuff, that's burnt electrical stuff! Coil was smoking! Always wanted a smoking hot truck! Turned the key off, pull negative lead from battery. Coil sits right over the ballast resistor. Pretty sure it was the coil smoking, but could have been the resistor. I'm going to replace both, as one can fry the other. Coil, resistor, cap, rotor etc... are all about two years old, installed by previous owner, probably Chineseium. Wiring, connections, etc... are fairly new and look good. Key was only on for maybe two minutes max.
Question: Besides replacing coil and ballast resistor, is there anything I'm missing?
Thanks,
Geoff