The front bearing retainer is not a press fit but it’s not sloppy either. There should be a shim behind the race to bring the main shaft end play to ZERO end play.
Make sure you install the front bearing retainer correctly with the rounded boss at the top and the rectangular boss at 6 o'clock.
I was hoping you would see this post and respond. Thank you.
I would not say the race is "sloppy", but it comes out with almost no resistance. It will fall out easily on it's own by just turning the retainer upside down. Attached is picture of the shim and race. While the sides of the race look OK, the shim shows clear signs of the race spinning, as there is a groove worn into the center with raised ridges along the edges. I assume this is not normal and means I should replace the retainer?