Please be certain to inspect your sealing surface all the way around. Your engine (no matter when it was made) may have originally had a rope seal or somebody may have used one in it. I have seen two that were newer and had never been rebuilt but had a rope seal...a 1956 and a 1959. If it ever had a rope seal then it is possible there could be roughness, pitting, etc on the crank sealing surface. If there is, then my suggestion would be to use a Speedi-Sleeve back there along with some red loctite to get a nice new surface.

I would try to find an old stock Fel-Pro orange colored rubber seal...maybe on eBay or Etsy. They're discontinued but I don't hold Best Gasket in the same high regard as some. Fel-Pro number was P017176 and Victor Reinz (same seal) was SA737.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end