| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,135 Posts1,056,422 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,501 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,501 | A couple of other things I'll mention is that the axle shafts in the 12 bolt rear ends are known for wearing and that plus the looser tolerance in the bearings will add up to more radial play. I realize everyone would prefer something like .001, but I don't believe you can get that without also replacing axles and I don't think .008" is enough to worry about...that being the thickness of two sheets of common copy paper. You'll also have expansion with heat from operation, so usually it all balances. If you were using your Suburban to travel the USA all the time I might be inclined to get new axle shafts but if you're just driving around NM, I think you'll be okay. Once upon a time there were bearings that were made so that they'd run on a different part of the axle (can't recall what they were called) but friends said they thought they were more sizzle than steak.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | |
| |
| |