Ol' Roy runs fine and I've driven the truck well over 10,000 miles in the last 4 years. This was after a slumber of over 5 years.

I know the valves haven't been adjusted in over 20 years.

Not having ever heard another 216 or 235 run in person, I'm not sure how much valve clatter is normal.

My questions are:

1. Should I adjust the valves on this engine or leave well enough alone?
2. Could there be any negative effects from adjusting the valves on an engine that's never had it done in modern times?
3. What would be gained from doing a valve adjustment?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)