I tend to agree with Jon on this. A fairly stock inline 6 doesn't require that much torque to crank over or requires a highr=er spped to start. I have however, used and am using a a gear reduction starter on a couple of V8's. One is a built 327 with a higher compression, the other is a mild 454, that one was for added exhaust clearance as you suggested. I have had good service from both and haven't encountered any issues.

Last edited by TUTS 59; 02/12/2025 5:44 PM.

~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane