It's always something with these jalopies, isn't it.

After installing my new speedometer and fixing the gauge lights, I took Ol' Roy for a nighttime spin. Everything was hunky Dory.

After I got back I parked and then attempted to restart the engine after a short time.

Engine turned over extremely slowly with a couple attempts like the battery was low. Then it didn't turn over at all.

When I tested the battery with a voltmeter, it registered 6.4v or so. That seems like normal full charge. The (+) side of the coil registered 5.6v with the ignition switch turned on.

Manually engaging the starter lever made no difference. Starter didn't turn at all.

Battery is about 3 years old, maybe 4.

I'll clean all the connections but this truck gets used a lot and doesn't sit around so corrosion doesn't seem likely.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)