Where does a guy get the springs for the drag link internals?

The ones I got in a kit for my 1-ton from Jim Carter were listed for the 1-ton but the springs are no where near moxie enough to do the job. One of my originals broke and I had to use one of the little springs from the kit and juggle springs around to get the effective length of the Drag Link correct so the steering wheel would be straight. When those springs get weak or broken the steering gets unnervingly vague. My DL's balls are welded in.

Regarding bump steer, there is an argument to be made for keeping the factory setup. On my 51 the drag link is parallel to the ground when the truck is loaded with 3,000 lbs. on the ft. axle, which is most of the time. The springs in the drag link take up some of the shock form what bump steer does occur. I have long wondered why GM kept the old style on the drag link but went to modern units for the tie rods. Maybe that's why but I suspect it was for cost reasons and to reduce maintenance.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.