John, I think the wreckers, haulers get to play under different rules. Our guys previously were going to help out with Georgia. They drove. After 3 days, they made it to the middle of Texas and were turned around. They were not happy. After I told some of the wreckers I weighed the trucks in case they needed that info, they laughed and told me they had no weight restrictions for Florida. All they had to do was book out there. Special FEMA rules?
Hurricane Sandy was different. We prepped for haul, then the President got on the phone and asked how we could get help out there sooner. We said, fly us out there! He said, make it happen. So we had to re-prep for load on to C5's and C17's out of March Reserve Base. Which was also fun-ish, or so.
Yes, that Rotator had a sleeper! I had to take a pic once he kicked on all those work lights! Lit up my yard! I immediately stated that I wanted one. My manager asked me why since it just meant more work! I said "Just for the lights!" Of all the wreckers, this one was a looker. Not necessarily new but well cared for.
RLB, I don't know who owns it. I have it written down at work. Me and my crew worked 2 long days along with a late night relief crew. I was so busy, I didn't even think of taking pictures until things slowed down. And that only happened with this last guy. Not much to do while he secured his load except remember to take one picture, boot him off the property (I say that nicely!) and secure my facility. I was beat! As of 1000 Pacific time today, 50% of the equipment is at the staging area with some crews already headed to work locations. I hear they are having a challenge finding hotel rooms.
I you see any of my guys doing restoration work, even if by the Press, please send a picture or two. I'd be interested.