Jerry, the running voltage is about 9.5 as you mentioned. Starting from the beginning, the truck would not start. Long cranking....maybe. A blast of ether would start it. It had been running great. Upon a suggestion obtained here, the did a jumper from the battery + to the coil+ and without ether, it started immediately. My thought is that the starting circuit was not getting enough voltage to start the engine under normal conditions (no ether) but there was enough voltage to keep it running. Now the puzzling part. The jumper was in place maybe 5 seconds. I was thinking maybe a loose connection at the ignition switch. I had replaced the switch about 6 months ago. Everything seems tight. I tried to start again, and it fired right up. No ether, no jumper. I would rather not 'assume' all is good. The start circuit gets its power from the stomp starter. Could that be intermittent. Hence my question about the start circuit voltage coming from the stomp switch. 12.5 going in, should there be 12.5 coming out or is the 11.1 that I have correct? With the start circuit wire (violet) disconnected at the switch, I get 10.9 there. I have worked on British cars for years. Lucas systems can be troublesome and only fail when it is cold and rainy. (Intermittent wipers!!!_) I hate to assume that the jumper episode with this Chevy was enough to cure whatever ails it. Your patience and expertise are appreciated. Thanks!


1957 3100, 235 with 4 speed floor shift