Brian,
I switched to the Malibu rear to make a street truck out of the old girl, no loads, just cruising.
I have a three speed from a mid '70's truck.
Don't know which one, but I will be under it this weekend and will get the numbers.
I took a 420 or 465 out of it at the same time I changed the rear.
I don't want the Granny Tranny, just a better first gear.
When my Dad put that monster tranny in his mileage went from 16 to twelve with the 250 six he had.
When I switched to the Malibu rear and 3 speed I went from 13 to 20 mpg with the 350 in it now.
So I guess the 4 speed was great for power, but rotten on mileage robbing parasitic loss.
My whole purpose was to lower cruise rpm's, and due to several factors at the time, this was the best way to go.
If I had it to do again with better circumstances, I would have kept the stock rear and gone with a 700 or a later 5 speed with OD, but hind sight....
I hope the guy that paid 50.00 for my old rear is happy with it.
More later,
Mike