Originally posted by glamis4x4:
1959 viking 60
I'm not sure exactly what that is and don't know what it weighs or how long and wide it might be.
I've moved big bolts two ways.
I've had a couple of them towed with a tow truck, and I like that method. It makes someone with more experience and bigger equipment responsible for the problem. I found a local tow truck operator that is real reasonable and have gone that route a few times.
I've also hauled a couple of them using an 18 foot car trailer and a 1-ton pickup. In each case the trucks were incomplete and did not weigh as much as they could, but still were substantial loads.
My 5,700 pound 1-ton pickup is rated to tow 10,000 pounds and my trailer (with electric brakes) can handle nearly 6,000 pounds payload. With a truck that weighed about 5,000 sitting on the trailer it actually pulled, steered and stopped just fine but felt like much more would be too much.
I hauled two nearly 4,000 pound 1-ton trucks using my truck and trailer just a few weeks ago. While I can sure feel the load back there, with a big enough truck and an adequate trailer the limitations become the skill and judgement of the driver.
But adequate equipment is still the first issue, without it even the best driver is asking for trouble. I've also chosen not to pursue a couple of trucks because after a little research decided my equipment could not move them safely.
I don't know what equipment you have available beyond what is listed in your signature. If your 4400 is road worthy and set up to pull a big trailer that might be a good answer.
But you don't want move a load like a big bolt with with a 1/2-ton pickup.