Originally Posted by TUTS 59
klhansen, The threaded rod is just a precaution. I ran over a spare once that came off.
LOL! I understand, I ripped the spare out of my 72 K10 once out gathering firewood. That had the swing style bar under the back of the bed. Had to go back and throw the spare on top of the load.

@Puffie40, those front mount spares were all the rage back in the late '70's up here in Alaska. I refused to use one. A mild bumper tap would tear up the grille at a minimum, or even puncture the radiator from the rack bending as the tire took the hit.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.