Hi,
I have decided to try the truck pull at the county fair tomorrow evening.
Mostly for fun, in fact all for fun, as I expect I won't even be close to the serious pullers.

It's a dirt track with a weight transfer sled. I have watched the tractor pulls before, and have a friend who will be there to help with advice. He was decent at tractor pulling years ago when he use to play with tractors.

My truck is a 61 f350 with a Detroit Diesel 6V53T. The wheelbase is about 15', so most all the weight will be on the front, and I don't expect to get much traction in the rear.

I have the hitch about as high as they will allow, and stuck out about a foot behind the truck to help transfer some weight. The rear suspension is from a smallish new Freightliner, and is much stiffer than any pickup.

I have dual 9R22.5 rear wheels with retreads with decent tread, but not really aggressive.
I usually run around 80psi, any ideas on what I should run for pulling?

I think the idea is to get the sled moving as fast as possible and keep traction. So, I plan to take off in first gear which is a fast jog with the engine on the governor. Apply the fuel gradually and quickly while trying not to spin the tires, then hold it to the floor at a governed 2,800 rpm until I spin, loose power, or hit the finish line.

I only have less than a day before the pull, so I'm looking for advice, encouragement, or laughs, but don't have time for any major mechanical changes.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun.

Thanks,
Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-