Good morning gentleman, thank you for your advice.
A ute, short for utility, is basically the same as your half ton pickup, but the tray is integrated into the cab and becomes one piece.
Most of the cab floor and half the firewall is removable giving good access to the gearbox and bell housing.
Identical to your pickup up to the firewall, and the engine and driveline is the same.
Made in Canada and shipped here in bits, then the ute body added by Holden, which later became the Australian division of General Motors.
Photo attached.

I should add that I am not a mechanic, simply a man who would rather have a go at fixing things myself than pay someone else.

I don't mind removing the transmission to get access to the rear of the engine.
I am hoping, though, to not have to remove the engine simply because of all the extra work that involves.

I have read of a new type of rear seal that replaces the old rope one. Have you had any experience with those?
Attachments
OMD32783 copy.jpg (461.74 KB, 103 downloads)