Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
The trick to the solvent run is to overfill the crankcase by 2-3 quarts to the point that the crankshaft and connecting rods are running partially submerged in an oil/solvent mixture. The rods dip into the solvent mix about 40 times a second at 1500 RPM. Try taking a ride in a commercial washing machine sometime for a similar experience to getting power washed by hot, splashed solvent for 20 minutes or so. Then try doing the same amount of cleaning by hand with a parts washing brush.
Jerry
Pulling the engine to de-sludge it was only one of the reasons, I knew it needed a new camshaft due to 2 lobes with no lift, also it needed a new clutch. I didn't even consider trying a solvent flush knowing the engine was coming out. Once I had it out of the truck it was a no-brainer to pull all the tin for inspection. Overfilling and solvent would have scoured some of the garbage for sure but I am glad I didn't run that sludge laden mix through the bearings. I agree, washing parts by hand is a tedious dirty job, the pressure washer made it bearable.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy