| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (55shaker, Bruce 1954-4100, Hanks custodian, Gdads51, BC59, Cletus1950, cmayna, 3800GUY),
126
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,253 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2020 Posts: 76 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2020 Posts: 76 | Someone posted on fender install a few weeks ago so I might be late to help and I asked a similar question a month ago so here is what I have learned..please let me know if this procedure I am working through will not work fully when the paint starts flying, I am only in primer. Maybe I am missing a future step that derails this plan.
1) paint the inside lip where inner and outer fenders meet (cheaper paint?) and install the anti-squeek material listed in the assembly book. 2) attach inner to outer fender tightening bolts fully. This ensures panels do not move when placing on the truck and scratch paint. 3) paint as one whole mated piece. 4) take mated painted inner and outer and install on the vehicle propping front corner of outer fender with a jack with towel (2 people here would be great). 5) once secured to the cowl then slightly loosen all bolts so final adjustments can be made and repeat for other side 6) here is where I am dong things differenty--install radiator support. I found this much easier so far as I have no idea how you would not scratch the fresh paint trying to push the fenders under the radiator support. The radiator drops straight down and its then just a matter of pushing the fenders in to line up the holes. Use smaller bolts in the non threaded holes specifically at the top radiator mount to help you get things held in place and pulled up so things do not move or fall then you can switch to the correct size bolt as you move around doing the adjustments.
I will be looking next at the grille and the best procedure to keep the paint from scratching. I am currently trying to figure out how to get my passenger side cowl and outer fender to sit flat with each other..they are off by a mile! Also any advise on the hood? I noticed just during the adjustment I was doing it was catching the edge and tearing off the primer. I know it all has to be loose and it is and I followed the procedure..but just one small mistake like that and there goes the paint! I am thinking that painting the hood in place might be the best thing. Perhaps paint the brackets off the truck first than install and paint the hood after the adjustments are done?
Let me know if I am off base for any reason. Thanks for all the help so far. | | | |
Entire Thread
|
My tips for front fender/clip installation
| jasrking | 09/16/2023 4:23 AM | |
| |
| |