So I have play in my king pins. Started looking at taking them out earlier tonight. Had searched the forums on how to do it and read what was in the tech tips. The question I have is this.
The tech tip shows a retaining ring above the dust cap that needs to be removed. I don't see any such retaining ring (pictures attached). In fact, it looks like the spindle casting is holding the dust cap in place (like it's been hammered). Is this normal?
I did read on one of the tech tips that you could drill a hole in the dust cap in order to use a punch to pull it off. Is this the way to go if there are no retaining rings?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. The front axle is out of the truck, so I can take it to get the king pins pressed out, but would like some insight into the lack of retaining rings.