Last winter I installed a Safety-Stat I bought from NAPA. I didn't really want a Safety stat but that was what they had in stock because they not only fail open, they do that the first time the engine temperature exceeds some predetermined temperature that a truck engine regularly exceeds. On a long, hard pull both my 235 and my 261 will hit about 205 and sit there till the top of the hill.

Sure enough by the time I got home from Arizona the engine was taking too long to warm up and getting too cold on the down-hills. I never pegged the temperature gauge (212 version). This is not the first time I've had this happen. Lately, I replaced the Safety Stat with a regular 180 what with fall approaching. It's been over 90 everyday for a few months so I didn't worry about it over the summer.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.