I may be mistaken about the 12V sender. I purchased it from Tanks, Inc. but don't have the model number handy and it is in the tank now. From the comments received, the sender is neither 6v or 12v - just a sender that with an OHM rating. I do recall they asked me about the OHM rating which I gave them at the time - it has been a few years since the transaction so the details are a bit foggy and I can't find the paperwork.
My intent was to connect the sender to the red tag side of the gauge as you noted.
I should have mentioned, I also converted to a negative ground.
the gauge cluster is grounded.
If I understand correctly, the sender has no voltage or juice to it. if the ohm rating is correct, connecting it to the red tagged lug should provide a working gauge.
I appreciate the clarification and direction!
thank, John