Well see what happened was... I was cruising the forums as I always do when I found VEW's post for his Truck for sale, a '58 4400 Big Bolt flat bed. That's where it all started, I showed the post to my HOA (Linda) and she shocked me by saying "Go get it", this had to be a trap right? I mean, think about it, My wife telling me to "GO" get another project??? Yep, had to be a trap. I let the image of "Thor" as Victor named it settle back in my thoughts, a Big Bolt, and a '58. It was like someone was telling me that this truck had to come home to Georgia. I let a few days pass, I would look in on the post a couple times a day, no one had replied to Victor's add? THIS HAD TO BE A TRAP... A week went by and I saw the price had been lowered... TRAP!!! I told Linda the price had come down, she looked at me and said "Well"?. Now I was really confused. The next morning I PM'd Victor and asked about the Truck. I provided my number and expressed my interest in "Thor". Victor replied and told me he would contact me the next morning. The anticipation dug in deep..

The next morning I waited to see a strange number appear on my phone, I had no idea of what time Victor meant by "Morning". Around 10AM my phone rang and it was Victor, he told me the basics of the Truck and what he had done while he had it. I explained to him that I had no plans to "Chop" it up or make a frame dragger out of it and that it would be put to work as best as I could use it. Victor admitted that before he called he had actually checked out my Stovebolt profile and my Project Journal of "Ernest" my '59 31. I wasn't sure what to make of that but Victor assured me that I "Checked Out", I even threw Alvin's name in there, not sure that helped either. A deal was struck and for all intensive purposes "Thor" was mine (YEAHHHH). I told victor I would be up that weekend to claim my new found toy.

The adventure began, enlisting the help of a couple of friends, more like my Son's, I planned the pilgrimage to Virgina. We had planned to have three of us enroute but as the world turns it was just two in the end , Zach (Oppie) and myself. Having no truck large enough to haul "Thor" myself I begged and barrowed, called in favors and as we all do to get what we want done. I wound up using a F@&d to collect my prize. We started out that Friday morning and didn't make it out of the next county before hitting traffic, a truck driver crossed the center medium and took out the weigh station on I-95 (Personally I think he did it on purpose). That was the first of three accidents just in Georgia. We fought traffic all the way north and made a 9 hour trip into 12. We finally found a room for the night in Leesburg just south of Victor's place.

I did manage to get some sleep and woke to a beautiful 68 degree Virginia day. Temps in Georgia had been hovering about the century mark so the cool air was very welcome. We left the hotel and headed to Lovettsville and "Thor". Stopping for fuel a took some pic's of a truck at a local shop. We actually passed Victor's house and were almost in Maryland when he text me " On your way back I'll hold traffic for you" so he had watched us go on by. That was entirely MY fault as I didn't see the correct address. Victor escorted us off the two lane and up between the trees in his yard, there just at the top of the rise was "Thor"... (our eyes met, well you know how that goes)

Victor had been trimming the trees to to get more clearance for our truck and trailer. We maneuvered around and managed to back straight up to "Thor". Victor is great guy, friendly and laid back, nothing at all like me. He walked me around my new best friend and showed me all of what he knew about the Truck. We loaded the 9000 lbs side boards and pulled off the outer rear dual wheels. Victor included a mass of parts that went along with the Truck and some that didn't, part is parts right. The moment of truth was here and I finally got to set in the cab and use the "Stomp" pedal to start the engine, "Thor" rolled over just once and sang to life, the 235 lifters doing their song as the oil pressure climbed, I WAS IN LOVE! I smoked the clutch a little as the drivers rear brake was hung up, I pointed it at the trailer and it climbed willing on as if it knew what to do. We were chained down and ready to go, said our so longs and "THANK YOU's" to Victor for all the help.

We cleared most of the trees as Victor again blocked traffic, a quick shout and a wave and on the road again. Once on the road we noticed one of the trailer tires walking around a bit and stopped to adjust the bearing, good to go and back on the 2 lane. GPS WILL LIE TO YOU!!!! I told Oppie that I wanted to avoid I-95 being that close to DC, I had planned on going towards Winchester and picking up I-81. What transpired was us trailering a beast through some of the small Villages around Leesburg and basically coming out close to where we started. Some how Zach's GPS kept putting up on a route to DC, we actually ended up on I-64 and back tracking to I-81 Once on the interstate it became clear that the front bed panel was a sail, it was catching so much air we could barely make 40 MPH. We stopped at a station just off I-81 and attempted to remove the panel, it was wedged into the stake pockets and wouldn't budge. Having a truck this old and this Large on a trailer is bound to draw a crowd, we were trying to balance our removing the panel and answering all the questions from on lookers. Fun and Games.

We stopped again father up the road at a Tractor Supply and purchased the largest pry bar they had. Having some additional leverage made all the difference, the panel came off and was strapped to the trailer bed. A quick Subway sandwich and on the road again. 70 miles in 3 hours, this was going to be a long day. On I-81 then to I-77 we were putting miles behind us at last, with the exception of some "Stupid A$$" U-haul drivers and a guy in a BMW convertible the rest of the trip went well. I pulled in the yard at home, it was 3:30 Sunday morning. Zach and I were beat and I threw him the keys to my Yukon and sent him the 3 miles up the road to his bed. I was covered in grease and grime and crashed on the bedroom floor. "Thor" was home.

Victor text me, he said he could swear the Truck was smiling as it left his place, knowing it was going where it needed to be.
Attachments
20230722_101130~2.jpg (618.78 KB, 155 downloads)
Thor 1
20230722_101228~2.jpg (610.11 KB, 154 downloads)
Thor 2
20230722_112559~2.jpg (579.76 KB, 158 downloads)
Oppie 1
20230722_101141~2.jpg (478.04 KB, 157 downloads)
Oppie 2
20230722_102544~2.jpg (428.56 KB, 157 downloads)
Oppie 3
20230722_101415~2.jpg (650.04 KB, 157 downloads)
Tuts 1
20230722_101420~2.jpg (539.8 KB, 158 downloads)
Tuts 2
20230722_102118~2.jpg (555.21 KB, 156 downloads)
Victor
20230722_112612~2.jpg (517.61 KB, 157 downloads)
Thor 3
20230722_112811~2.jpg (590.06 KB, 157 downloads)
Tuts and Victor

Last edited by TUTS 59; 07/27/2023 1:49 AM.

~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane