In racing engines they're pumping a barrel a minute through the engine at high RPM. Higher coolant velocity minimizes hot spots.

I'm using the low mount pump and a 16" 6-blade truck fan, the bottom blades of which extend below the radiator. I had to drop the radiator in the mounting hoop several inches so the fan would clear the lower radiator hose outlet. If I was a good sheetmetal man I'd make a shroud to fit. Instead I added a pusher fan in front of the radiator with a 205 degree-on switch from the Peterbilt dealer and a relay. On a long, hard pull on a hot day it will go over 200 degrees, otherwise runs at 180 per the thermostat.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.