No schooling in this for me, neither. But the more I do, with an attitude of "Why can't I do this stuff!", the more I learn. Which just goes to show, it's never too late! And not just limited to machining. I think I picked up enough supplies to try some more advanced upholstery on my Model A Roadster seat springs. And why not! If some guy in a small shack let's you drop off your springs in the hope that, when you pick them up, they will look like what you envisioned. He might be faster because of a lifetime of experience, but it doesn't mean I can't figure it out and do the same. Everything on our Stovebolts was touched by some human in a factory and turned in to the trucks we love. Ain't nothing mysterious or magical about it. Just some dude (or chick) that did what they were taught to do. And between Youtube and The Stovebolt and other internet information, it's even easier to get that training and build on the pioneers. And if we make a mistake, we start over and try not to repeat that mistake!
Short answer! Yeah, I like making stuff! Best part of the day is when I can say, yeah, I made that! Even if, sometimes, I'm only talking to myself!