This thread is related to my rod/main bearing thread here.

In that thread I reported on my first drive after adjusting bearings clearance and installing a new Beat Gasket rear main rope seal. The first drive of about 5 miles was a big success, no more knock and no oil leak.

I made a second drive of near 50 miles, again no knock. I proclaimed success again and closed the thread.

Well a couple days later just before another trip to trip to town it took 1 1/2 qts. of oil to get it back to the full mark!
There was a 6” diameter oil spot under the clutch cover.

I checked the recently installed PCV valve and it was not stuck. Had 19” vacuum to it. Oddly no vacuum at the oil dipstick tube. Regardless I spent a few minutes sealing the tube to the dipstick.

Now for the semi good news, the last trip was yesterday, I checked the oil today and it’s still full??? There is a quarter size spot of fresh oil under the clutch pan but that’s nothing compared to the spot after the previous trip to town.

1. Did the rope seal wear in a bit and pretty much stop leaking?

2. Did sealing the dip stick case more negative crankcase pressure reducing the leak?

3. Why wasn’t there noticeable vacuum at the dipstick tube @ low idle?

Questions questions questions.

RonR


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5