I have used the wiki in the past with decent luck for light duty and squarebody parts, but have only ever struck out with respect to older medium duty.
Chevrolet Parts Book, On CD. 38-64 Cars, 38-72 Trucks and 53-64 Corvette
I did come across that one, but it was out of stock everywhere I looked for it. It appears to be in stock at the link that Gdads51 posted, up until I added it to the cart.
HFfarms,
If you absolutely must have a printed book, you will have to search the web (primarily eBay) to watch for sales as they do come up occasionally.
I cant believe that I overlooked ebay. A quick search shows a lot of used manuals to sift thru. I came across a '55-'64 medium duty manual, and then a '46-'72 medium duty manual that I went ahead and snagged. I figure I should be able to reference between both for part numbers based on years and crossover applicability between models.
Is there a specific reference process any of you use for long discontinued part numbers? An example would be the pinion seal on my current '64 axle. The OEM PN became obsolete in '65 and was superseded by a new PN that was only good until '72, but cross references to a new PN from SKF and NATIONAL which can still be sourced. Is there a conversion bible to be able to trace parts like this, or is that going to be dependent upon the current parts distributor (like SKF for seals) to make that map? Just curious on this.